What To Do After Being Served With Divorce Papers?

You’ve Been Served With Divorce Papers – Now What?

Most people know when their marriage is failing.  However, being served with divorce papers usually still comes as a shock.  Now that you have been served, here is what you should do next.

First thing to know is that in most cases, you only have 20 days to respond to the Summons (or the Summons and Complaint).  Failing to respond within that time-frame can put you in serious jeopardy.

Of course you should hire an attorney, but, not just any attorney, you should hire an attorney who specializes in divorce cases.  It would be a huge mistake to hire a friend or relative who practices a different kind of law, just to save money.  You would not hire a carpenter to fix your plumbing, the same goes for the law, and you want someone who knows divorce law, not some other unrelated area of law.

Before, you contact an attorney, you need to consider the following:

  • If you have children, what kind of parenting schedule do you want?
  • If you have children, what kind of custody do you want?
  • If you have children, child support and child care.
  • Living arrangements
  • Will you be able to keep your house?
  • Your assets and your debts
  • Do you want to consider counseling (for yourself, not marriage counseling)?

When you meet with your attorney, make sure you have your questions written down and also make sure to take notes.  Your attorney will probably give you lots of information and after your meeting, it will be hard to remember everything.  Taking notes will help you to remember what your attorney told you.

You should also know, what not to do.  Despite any feelings of hurt or anger, you do not want to engage in any type of domestic violence or threaten your spouse in any way.  Remember, now that a divorce action has been started, anything you do or say, can be used as evidence in court.

The Badanes Law Office knows that being served with divorce papers can be a traumatic experience.  David Badanes, Esq. has represented countless clients and provides both excellent practical and legal advice.  The Badanes Law Office represents clients in Suffolk County, Nassau County, Manhattan and Brooklyn.

If you need an attorney, call David Badanes and the Badanes Law Office at 631-239-1702, email at david@dbnylaw.com or visit our web site: www.dbnylaw.com.  The Badanes Law Office has offices in Northport, Garden City, Brooklyn and Manhattan.

Please like us on Facebook to get important legal news, tips and articles: www.facebook.com/BadanesLawOffice.