If you are a woman who is thinking of getting a divorce, believes their spouse will be filing for a divorce soon, or have just been served divorce papers, here are six steps you should take:
- Open up your own bank account: You will need to have funds that only you have access to. You should open up your own bank account (both checking and savings). It is also a good idea, to open up the new bank account at a different bank than the one you have with your spouse.
- Start Saving Money: Start putting money into the new bank account. If you are employed, then you may want to put your paycheck (or some of your paycheck) into the new bank account.
- Get Your Financial Documents: You will need to obtain a lot of different financial documents. For example, bank statements, retirement statements, mutual fund statements, and many more. Now is the time to start obtaining those records. You don’t have to get hard copies, as typically, your attorney will accept electronic copies.
- Get a New Accountant or Talk to the One You Have. In many divorces, you may want to obtain a new accountant. The time to start looking for one is now. Your new accountant can help you with your tax returns and maybe give you good financial advice. If you want to keep your existing accountant, you may want to talk to him/her and see what financial advice they can give you.
- Credit Cards: Make a list of your credit cards.
- Budget: Make a budget. Your financial status will be changing. You will need to know what your current expenses are, and what you believe your projected expenses will be.
If you are going thinking of getting a divorce, or have been served with divorce papers and need an attorney, contact David Badanes and the Badanes Law Office, P.C. David Badanes and the Badanes Law Office’s phone number is 631-239-1702, email at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website: www.dbnylaw.com. The Badanes Law Office has offices in Northport and Uniondale.
Please like us on Facebook to get important legal news, tips and articles: www.facebook.com/BadanesLawOffice.