If you are going to file for divorce in January, then there are many steps you can take now, to make the process easier for you. Here are Five of the most important steps you can take now to prepare for your divorce in January.
- Take an inventory of your bank accounts. Your inventory, should include the name of your banking institution, account numbers, balances, and the names on the accounts.
- Take an inventory of your other financial documents. Start collecting your mortgage statements (or rental agreement), credit card statements, student loan statements and other financial documents. Make at least two copies of the most recent statements. You will need to give one copy to your attorney and you should keep a copy in a safe place.
- Make copies of your recent tax returns and W-2 statements. One of the first things you will need to provide to your attorney (and to the Courts) is a copy of your most recent tax return and W-2 statement. It will probably be easier to get those documents before you file for a divorce, then after, when your spouse may try to hide them from you.
- Open up a new bank account. You should open up a new checking and savings account. Put as little as possible into these new bank accounts. Once you file for divorce, you will now be able to put your money into these new bank accounts. It is also a good idea to open up these new accounts in a different bank then the one you and your spouse currently use.
- Get a copy of your credit report. Nowadays, it is pretty easy to get a copy of your credit report. You can usually get a copy online within minutes. Once you obtain a copy, make another copy for your attorney
If you are going to file for a divorce in January, it is important to start planning now. If you are considering a divorce, then David Badanes and the Badanes Law Office, P.C., can help you. Contact David Badanes and the Badanes Law Office at 631-239-1702, email at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our web site: www.dbnylaw.com. The Badanes Law Office has offices in Northport and Uniondale.
Please like us on Facebook to get important legal news, tips and articles: www.facebook.com/BadanesLawOffice.