David P. Badanes, Esq.

In New York State, you file for a divorce in the Supreme Court in the County that you live in or where your spouse lives.  If your spouse lives in the State of New York and you live in New York State, then you can choose either county to file for divorce.  Most likely, you will want to file for divorce in the county that you live in.

However, there may be good reasons to file in the county that your spouse lives in.  This is a decision that you should make with your attorney.

To file for a divorce, you need to file a “Summons With Notice”.  However, if you file an incorrect or incomplete Summons, then it may be deemed ineffective and invalid.

If you are considering filing for divorce, contact David Badanes and the Badanes Law Office at 631-239-1702, email at david@dbnylaw.com or visit our web site: www.dbnylaw.com.  The Badanes Law Office has offices in Northport, Garden City, Brooklyn and Manhattan.

Please like us on Facebook to get important legal news, tips and articles: www.facebook.com/BadanesLawOffice.