David P. Badanes, Esq.

You want a divorce or you have just been served divorce papers. You have little to no money and believe that you can’t afford an attorney. However, there may be ways for you to hire an attorney.

If you are the “non-monied” spouse — that is the spouse who earns much less than the other spouse — then you may be eligible to obtain attorney fees from the “monied” spouse. In New York State, there is a presumption that the monied spouse (the one who makes much more money) is to pay the attorney fees of the non-monied spouse. An attorney can explain how this works and how this may solve your lack of funds to pay for an attorney.

If you have a regular paying job, then there may be a way for you to obtain a payment plan whereby a certain percentage of your paycheck is used to pay your attorney fees.

An uncontested divorce or divorce mediation is also a low-cost alternative to traditional contested divorces.

David Badanes and the Badanes Law Office have represented numerous clients who have limited resources. If you live in Suffolk County, Nassau County and need a divorce (matrimonial) lawyer, then call David Badanes and the Badanes Law Office at 631-239-1702, email at david@dbnylaw.com or visit our web site: www.dbnylaw.com. The Badanes Law Office has offices in Northport, Garden City, Brooklyn and Manhattan.

Please like us on Facebook to get important legal news, tips and articles.