By David P. Badanes, Esq.
You are divorced and your former spouse decides not to let you see your children. This usually happens when the former spouse is mad at you for something you allegedly did. What can you do?
First, thing you need to do is call the police. The police should write a report which will indicate that you came to pick up your children and your former spouse would not release the children to you. Make sure that when the police come, that you are calm and explain the situation. It is important to note, that most likely the police will not force your former spouse to release the children. However, the police report will help you in court.
Your next step is to contact an experience Divorce or Family Law attorney. Your attorney can file an emergency motion with the court stating that your former spouse is violating your divorce agreement and that your former spouse did not allow you to see your children. The Court can grant several remedies and could hold your former spouse in contempt of court. In extreme cases, you may even be able to get custody of the children switched from your former spouse to you.
If your former spouse decides not to let you see your children, it is important to contact an attorney who can guide you on the steps to take to protect your rights. If you live in Long Island, Nassau County or Suffolk County, Matrimonial, Divorce and Family Law Attorney, David Badanes and the Badanes Law Office have helped numerous individuals in these situations. Call David Badanes and the Badanes Law Office today at 631-239-1702, email at or visit our web site: The Badanes Law Office has offices in Northport and Garden City.