After your divorce is finalized, you need to change your Will and update your insurance policies. Here, are some of the things you need to do:
- Change your Will (or get a Will). If you already have a Will, then you should change it to reflect the fact that you are now divorced. Although, in most divorces, your divorce will state that your estate does not go to your ex-spouse, it is still recommended that you update your Will. If you do not have a Will, then you should get one.
- Change your Health Care Proxy, Living Will and Power of Attorney. Similar to why you should change your Will, you need to update these other important documents. If you don’t have these documents, then you should have a Wills and estate planning attorney draft them for you.
- Review and Change your Life Insurance Policy. If your divorce agreement allows you to do so, then change the beneficiary on your life insurance policy.
- Car Insurance. Make sure that your car insurance is updated and that your ex-spouse is no longer on your policy.
- Health Insurance. Make sure that your health insurance plan is updated and correct.
Looking for expert advice and divorce representation? Call David Badanes and the Badanes Law Office today! You can reach us at 631-239-1702 or email David Badanes, Esq. at email@example.com.
Please like us on Facebook to get important legal news, tips and articles: www.facebook.com/BadanesLawOffice.