I Want a Divorce but My Spouse Doesn’t

You may want a Divorce, but your spouse does not. What can you do? New York State is a “No Fault” Divorce State, so, you can get a divorce with or without your spouse cooperating or “wanting” the divorce.

The first step in starting the divorce process is to file a Summons and Complaint (or in some instances, you can file a “Summons With Notice” and then subsequently file the Complaint). Then the Summons and Complaint must be properly served upon your spouse. The key is here is that you must have “proper service”. This means you cannot just give the Summons and Complaint to your spouse. It is highly recommended that you hire an experienced process server to serve the Summons and Complaint upon your spouse. If you hire an attorney, your attorney will most likely handle the entire process of filing the Summons and Complaint and also making sure it is properly served upon your spouse.

What if my spouse states that he/she will not respond to the Summons and Complaint?

Technically, your spouse does not have to respond to the Summons and Complaint. However, if your spouse does not respond to the Summons and Complaint, then you can still get divorced. You would request that the Court give you a default divorce. Your attorney will know how to make sure that you make the request for a default divorce correctly.

In the process of granting a default divorce, the Court will schedule a special court hearing called an “Inquest”. At the Inquest, your attorney will present evidence that your spouse was properly served and will also present the basic facts of your divorce. If applicable, you will be able to make a request for child custody, child support, alimony, distribution of assets and the payment of debts as well of all the other issues of your divorce. In general, terms, since your spouse has not responded to the Summons and Complaint, the Court will grant most of your requests.

The bottom line is that you can get a divorce regardless of whether or not your spouse also wants the divorce.

If you are contemplating getting divorced and believe that your spouse does not want the divorce, then you need an experienced attorney who can guide you through the process. , David Badanes and the Badanes Law Office, P.C. have the experience to get you through the divorce process, even if your spouse doesn’t want the divorce.

What is the Difference Between Alimony (Spousal Maintenance) Payments and Child Support?

David P. Badanes, Esq.

Alimony There is a significant difference between alimony (spousal maintenance) payments and child support payments. The amount of child support is typically determined by a formula and is based on your income. For most parents, the amount of child support that you have to pay is not significantly altered by the amount of income that your ex-spouse earns.

In contrast, the amount of alimony you may have to pay is not determined by a formula. Furthermore, the amount of alimony you pay will absolutely depend on how much income your ex-spouse earns (or could earn).

In New York, child support typically ends when the youngest child turns 21 years of age. In theory, you could pay alimony until your ex-spouse dies, although, the length of time you have to pay alimony is based on many factors.

Child support payments, whether paid or received, is not considered income. Accordingly, there are no tax consequences to the payment or the receipt of child support payments.

Alimony payments are considered income and must be declared on your income taxes. If you make alimony payments, you can deduct the amount you pay from your income.

If you are getting divorced and need more information about child support and alimony (spousal maintenance) and what your legal rights are, call David Badanes and the Badanes Law Office. We have helped numerous individuals with their divorce. Call 631-239-1702, or contact us today. The Badanes Law Office has two offices in Long Island: Northport and Garden City.

If you like our articles, you will find our eBook helpful too:

Download “7 Things You Should Know When Going Through a Divorce in New York” here: